CURDS + WHEY | CHOCOLATE DATE MOUSSE

29.6.16


I have finally decided to post recipes I use for my little one, which are adaptations of foods I make for myself. My little one, or my Polpettino, as I call him, has been sheltered from any sort of processed foods, refined sugar, additives, etc. Just like his mother did as baby, he has been enjoying home cooked meals with no salt, sugar or MSGs--only fresh organic produce from Wholefoods, farmers' markets (and Sainsbury's when we ran out of Wholefoods items), and seasonal as much as possible. 
For the first Curds + Whey post--the series dedicated to all things ethical baby--I thought I would introduce one of Polpettino's favourite treats, which I only make one to two times a month. I was inspired to make a chocolate inspired snack as my mother-in-law was looking forward to spoiling him with sweet treats (No Cadbury chocolate, please!). Instead of giving him refined sugar, I thought a take on a mousse would be ideal. 
What follows is an adaptation of a chocolate mousse for babies, that is healthy and delicious, and deserving for your petites enfants. Also, I would like to think that by feeding him healthy sweets this will deter him from its evil twin in the future. Here is to hoping. 
  Organic Fairtrade Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1/2 ripe avocado
4-5 large medjool dates (can substitute with prunes)
1 tbsp unsweetened (at least) 70% cacao
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice or coconut milk

Process:
Peel and cut in fruits
Add all ingredients to a food processor 
Whip to desired consistency
Add more juice or milk as desired

Suitable for:
8+ m, but I recommend it for 10+ m

Note:
Dates are great for babies as they have so many health benefits. For one, they help any intestinal disturbances, as they eliminate bad parasites and promote healthy bacteria needed for digestion. They also help to protect the liver--see ya later jaundice and hepatitis--and have a plethora of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium which assist in bones and brain development (respectively). 
Cacao is not as straightforward as Dates. I have found conflicting research on the use of cacao in baby food,especially as it is a stimulant. Also, the cacao industry has been marred by child labour and trafficking, which is why I only buy fair trade cacao. Cacao also has its fair share of benefits, as it is believed to protect against heart disease, cancer, and various other medical conditions as well as improving blood pressure and glucose metabolism. However, I only give him raw cacao once a month to ensure that the negative impacts do not outweigh the positive ones (if that makes any sense).


Check out Curds + Whey on Insta @theconsciencecollectivebaby. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Allison Forbes30 June 2016 at 22:01

    Just tried it for my 14m son and he loved it. Great Recipe. I've eaten half of it as well. Just couldn't stop.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe