MEAT FREE MONDAY | Seasonal Eats - November

22.10.12

Taken from PBS

 When shopping for food, I rarely think of organic grocery shopping, but rather seasonal grocery shopping from local farmers. As we go into November, my local green grocers have been enticing me with overflowing pails of chestnuts and crates upon crates of brussels sprouts. Inspired by the latter, I made a brussels sprouts and cabbage medley with bacon bits.Clams are also in season (finally), as they are the key ingredient for my favourite pasta of all time Linguine alla Vongole.
As a result, I thought that I would share a list of some of the Seasonal British Foods that you can incorporate into your diet this month (I head to the US next week and will cover this there as well, so stay tuned). What I learned from the mushroom man at Borough Market is that wild mushrooms are slowly making its way out of season (wild mushroom risotto this week it is), so I have also included some of what is going out of season.


GOING OUT OF SEASON (but never out of style)
Grouse
Medlars
Quince
Swiss Chard
Wild Mushrooms

IN SEASON
Apples
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Celeriac
Chestnut
Clams
Cranberry
Horseradish
Jerusalem Artichoke 
Kale
Mussels
Oysters
Parsnips
Pheasant
Pomegranate 
Pumpkin
Salsify
Satsuma
Scallop
Sea bass
Swede
Truffle
Venison
Wild duck
Winkle


[List taken from BBC Food & Mark Hix's British Seasonal Food]

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe