FASHION | Controlling the Urge to Splurge

15.9.12

by Emma H

September is a tough time for fashion lovers' wallets. Not only are we being bombarded by new season splendour, the spring shows set off a street-style, fashion frenzy and I find myself possessed by a desperate urge to frantically tear through the shops and spend money I don't have on clothes I don't need. I spend hours trailing through less-than-ethical websites imagining the outer limits of my fabulocity in all the gorgeously cheap clothes available at a click of a button ("if only I had that dress my wardrobe would be complete". Sound familiar?). There was a time when I would allow myself to satiate the cravings created by cunning teams of marketers but those times are no more. So, how do I keep the urge to splurge on fast fashion under wraps? Click below for my top tips.

My fav streetstyle look from the SS13 shows so far as captured by Tommy Ton for Style.com


1. Avoidance. I stay away from the highstreet and the websites I can't say no to.

1a. If it's too late and I find myself in a shop or on a site about to check out I Stop (yes with a capital S), walk away (or close the site), breathe and realise I'm ok without it!

2. Charity Shops help to take the edge off. I often hit up my local Shelter or Oxfam where a granny chic tea dress for under a tenner regulates my heart rate. Plus it doesn't count if it's for charity!

3. I swish! Basically attending clothes swap parties where due to a combination of alcohol and adrenaline I unleash my inner crazy on the rails of other peoples' clothes and have come away with some serious gems. More on that later.

4. Shop your wardrobe! That's right, spend a day, digging to the depths of your drawers. You'll find pieces you forgot you even had and will see old favourites in a new light.

5. If I really do have a hole in my wardrobe I look for an ethical alternative. There is a lot to choose from; Fair Trade, Upcycled, Recycled, Vintage and second hand. Spending time seeking something out makes a purchase all the more special.

6. Another good tip is to put items you LOVE on hold or make a wishlist online. Walk away and come back to it later. I have to relent and say it's ok to buy something you really love, even if it is from the highstreet, if you think it really will be something you'll love forever. But don't use this as an excuse to buy whatever you want!!

Hope this helps!


Me in People Tree ikat pod dress and Oxfam shop find vintage green skirt with well worn orange Gap sweater and an assortment of charity shop necklaces - not quite Tommy Ton worthy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe